There are more voices advocating equal employment opportunities for women today than ever before. This is undoubtedly a sign of progress, but there is still a long way to go.
In certain fields, and in the tech industry in particular, the actual number of women who comprise the workforce remains surprisingly low. Despite the fact that women make up more than half of the US workforce, they account for less than 20 percent of all US tech jobs.
The good news is that there are some tactics that tech companies can implement into their recruitment models to increase their number of female employees. In this post, we’ll be exploring four tips for finding and hiring more women in the tech world.
- Include women on interview panels. When you’re interviewing women for a position within the company, having a female colleague – who is ideally in a leadership position – will demonstrate to your interviewee that your company values equal gender opportunities.
- Promote a Referral Program. To offset recruitment trends that skew disproportionately towards males, tech companies can offer a bonus to employees that are able to refer women to the company’s HR department. Incentivizing female hires in this way will ensure that that existing employees network with female colleagues, promoting your company, and resulting in a higher percentage of women in your workforce.
- Offer Family Leave & Benefits. Data suggests that women are much more likely to apply for positions within companies that offer parental leave and family-friendly benefits. To attract more female tech professionals to your company, speak with your HR department to make sure you offer the following benefits (the more, the better):
- Health insurance
- Family and Medical Leave
- Remote work options
- Daycare facilities or vouchers
- Run a campaign to source female talent. If cultivating an equal-opportunity employer culture and hiring methodology is important to you, you might consider specifically targeting female candidates in your job search. Social media, online recruitment platforms, and third-party recruitment agencies can all be powerful assets if your goal is to specifically get in contact with female top-talent tech pros.
Enhance Your Team with NueVista
If you’re seeking to diversify or grow your team by getting connected with top-talent IT pros, NueVista is here to help. Begin your IT candidate search by visiting our contact us page.